If you´ve come to our store looking to buy a Youdao Dictionary Pen, you have probably noticed that we have two models:
So what are the differences and which one suits your needs the best? We´ll talk in detail about these two models in this post and try to solve this question for you.
You can find in the following table the main differences between these two models.
The display of the scanned text on the screen of both pens are also different, you can check the difference in the pictures below. It´s important to mention that in the Pen 2, the bilingual example sentences don´t have the icon to listen to the pronunciation nor have pinyin whereas the Pen 3 Global Version has these features.
Are you learning Chinese? Both pens are great for you! Both can scan Traditional and Simplified Chinese, work offline and scan on different surfaces and types of fonts.
The difference comes down to the following points:
- Vocabulary: The Youdao Dictionary Pen 3 Global Version has more vocabulary than the Youdao Dictionary Pen 2. The Youdao Dictionary Pen 3 Global Version has over 4 million entries and multiple dictionaries like Youdao Pinyin Dictionary, chinese idioms, classical poetry, among others.
- Bilingual Example Sentences: Both pens have bilingual example sentences. However, the Youdao Dictionary Pen 3 shows bilingual example sentences with sound and also pinyin, while the Youdao Dictionary Pen 2 only shows the bilingual example sentences, without pinyin and sound button.
- Character Stroke Order: Both pens can give you the strokes, but the difference comes down to the display, the Pen 3 has a video that shows the correct sequence of the strokes in a character, you can replay the video as many times as you want, while the Pen 2 only shows the written strokes, for example:
- Pen 3 Character Stroke Order animation:
- Pen 2 Character Stroke Order:
- Voice Assistant: The Pen 2 has a voice assistant feature, to ask something you need to speak in Chinese and the pen will give you the answer, you can ask questions like "How to say "apple" in English?". If you decide to use English when talking to the voice assistant, then it becomes a voice translator and will only translate to Chinese, you can´t use English to ask questions. This feature is not available on the Pen 3 Global Version.
Spanish Learning and English-Spanish translation.
If you are learning Spanish, or need to translate Spanish, then the Pen 3 is right for you.
The Youdao Dictionary Pen 3 Global Version supports Spanish and English language learning features, it can also be used to translate texts from English to Spanish and Spanish to English.
The Youdao Dictionary Pen 2 does not support Spanish language.
Reading Pen for dyslexia
The Pen 3 can be used as a reading pen for dyslexia, it can support English, Spanish and Chinese languages.
Check the videos of the scanning pen for dyslexia here:
- Reading Pen (English Video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-_sxfch8Zo
- Reading Pen (Spanish Video) https://www.instagram.com/p/CjAgU5CDAu1/
The Pen 2 can read the scanned text aloud, but only supports English and Chinese.
English Learning & Translation
For English learning we recommend the Youdao Dictionary Pen 3 Global Version, this model, besides the English Dictionary Merriam-Webster´s, has features like:
- Speech Scoring: scan a sentence or word in English, tap the microphone icon on the pen and start speaking, the pen´s Artificial Intelligence will score your pronunciation.
- Phonics teaching: This is identified by the Aa icon. This feature appears after scanning or looking up a word and teaches users how to pronounce the word letter by letter, showing the relationship between each letter and its sound in spoken language.
The Pen 3 Global Version is suitable if Spanish Speakers or Chinese Speakers learning English, reading English texts or going abroad for study.
The Youdao Pen 3 has English dictionaries and supports two-way translation between English-Spanish and English-Chinese as well as bilingual example sentences with audio.
The Youdao Dictionary Pen 2 only supports two-way translation and dictionaries between English and Chinese, and does not have Speech Scoring nor Phonics Teaching features.
Which Youdao Dictionary Pen should you buy?
Let´s do a recap with the most common situations:
I´m learning Chinese.... You can buy both pens, the Youdao Dictionary Pen 3 Global Version and the Youdao Dictionary Pen 2 are great! Just check the details to see which one fits better to your specific requirements.
I´m a Spanish Speaker... Then definitely get the Youdao Dictionary Pen 3 Global Version.
I am learning Spanish... The Youdao Dictionary Pen 3 Global Version is perfect for you!
I need to translate Spanish texts... Get the Youdao Dictionary Pen 3 Global Version
I need a reading pen for dyslexia and I´m an English Speaker... Both pens work wonderfully as reading pens, however we recommend the Youdao Dictionary Pen 3 Global Version, under the "English-English" learning mode the pen works as reading pen and does not show the translation of the text to any other language.
I need a reading pen for dyslexia and I´m a Spanish Speaker... The Youdao Dictionary Pen 3 is the right model for you
I am learning English... We recommend you the Youdao Dictionary Pen 3 Global Version.
Thanks for reading our article!
If you have any questions, feel free to comment or send us your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org